Wednesday, February 7, 2018

The cat is out the bag...

... or is it the mouse out the jar?

I know someone who just loves jelly beans. So when I saw the Stampabilities Sweet Sensation stamp in a destash, I knew it had to come home to me. A birthday was eminent and this was the perfect focal point. And anyway, who does not love House Mouse designs??

I recently saw a video on my YouTube feed by Jennifer McQuire making a "in-and-out" card. I decided that I wanted to try it with this card. I went for a 5x7 sized side folding card and adapted her instructions accordingly.

I stamped the image with Momento Tuxedo Black ink on Strathmore Paint Pad paper. I also stamped some additional single jelly beans and then colored the whole image with my Prismacolor colored pencils.



Then using the PixScan mat with my Silhouette Cameo, I cut the image out. Using the trace line from that image, I created another cut line offset slightly from the first one and cut that out of the front of one of the card bases.

Pulling out my pen holder, I used the Silhouette Cameo to write my sentiment on the outside of the one card and on the flap of the second card with a black gel pen. I then colored the letters with the same gel pen and adhered the two sections of the card together.

I then adhered the image onto the flap of the second section with foam tape so that it would be raised enough to peek through the hole cut into the first flap.



I added the additional single jelly beans that I had colored and cut out to the second flap of the card.


The last section got a sentiment and then my personal note added.


I so enjoyed making this card. The "perfectness" (is that even a word?) of the image together with the fun of the construction only fueled the excitement of giving it to the recipient.

General supplies:
Strathmore Paint Pad paper
Reflections 110lb heavyweight cardstock for card base
Stampabilities Sweet Sensation wood mounted stamp 
Memento Tuxedo black ink
Prismacolor pencils
Silhouette Cameo with PixScan mat and pen holder
Black gel pen
Foam tape
Retired Stampin Up sentiment stamps


17 comments :

  1. Very impressive card. Every thing about it is spot on. Thank you for sharing it with us at Crafty Creations. Ciao, Lisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beautiful card, coloring is so pretty and the design is very clever and unique. Thanks for sharing it with us at the House Mouse and Friends MOnday Challenge.

      Hugs
      Sue

      Delete
  2. An amazing and creative card and colours. Thanks so much for entering into our ANYTHING GOES/LOVE current challenge and good luck in the draw. . {aNNie}Designer for House Mouse and Friends

    without my DT hat on
    I am loving this style Monica, I have never used the pen on my cameo and wouldn't know how to even though I have had it for 5 years or so. Maybe I need to give it a go as I have the pens.. thanks for the inspiration too... [aNNie]
     ❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you aNNie! Definitely give it a try, adds a whole new dimension to your project!

      Delete
  3. I love the beautiful colors of the jelly beans. You did such a great job on this. It's so cute. I'm sure whoever received it loved it. Thank you for joining us at House Mouse and Friends Challenge. {Bunny} Designer for House Mouse and Friends

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great design! Beautiful color work! What an adorable mousey make!! Thx so much for playing along with us at HMFMC! Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amazing Monica and very creative sweetie !! So colourful and so sweet !! Thanks for playing a long with us at HMFMC !!

    hugs Diane xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a brilliant creation, Monica, the sweetest card ever. Thanks for joining our challenge at HM&F,
    Dorte x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Super stunning coloring Monica adore your CAS design, lovely take on the Option chall theme.

    Thanks for sharing with us at House-Mouse & Friends Monday Challenge

    Smiles Christine DT XX

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a fun design!!! Love your coloring and absolutely adore your use of pens/Silhouette! I need to give that a try again as you are so inspiring!!!

    Thanks so much for sharing with us at House Mouse and Friends Monday Challenge.

    I hope you will join our new Spring challenge!!!


    ♥ Sue Kment

    ReplyDelete
  9. WHAT An adorable Mousey make! Colorful and FUN! So glad you played along at HMFMC!! Hope you will be joining us again this week for a brand new challenge! :)

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top